Wednesday, November 30, 2011

What do you do with a screaming child?

So far tonight, I have managed to get about 4 hours of sleep, and I don't see myself getting any more sleep tonight.  It isn't because I was partying late last night into the wee hours of the morning, nor is it because of a Harry Potter/Lord of the Rings/Star Wars/etc movie marathon.

It is because two of my kids (ages 1 and 3) were having nightmares.

From early last night, soon after they fell asleep, one or the other would wake up screaming and crying.  Since I am a light sleeper anyway, I immediately woke up each time and went in.  Because they can't open the door yet, they can't come in my room when they're scared.  That's good because my wife and I aren't disturbed at night, but at the same time, it's not good because the kids can't come in when they've had nightmares or need additional comforting.

Anyway, because of tonight and them having so many nightmares (I have gone in to comfort them at least three times so far, and there were a couple of other times when they stopped crying before I even got to the door), I am wondering what the cause is for their nightmares.  I would like to know why they are having so many and what I can do to help prevent them.

To anyone reading this, if you have any suggestions on what to do, I welcome them.

No comments:

Post a Comment