Saturday, January 7, 2012

Not Enough Time in One Day!

I am almost positive that almost everyone has heard someone say a slight variation of the following complaint: Man, I wish there were more hours in a day.

Well, unless you can slow down the Earth's rotation while keeping gravity the same (because, hey, if the Earth's rotation was slowed down, gravity would most likely decrease, thus causing a whole 'nother post to be written about that!), you're kinda out of luck, foo.

As a slight tangent, I apologize for my ghetto voice coming out earlier in the post.  I usually keep it under strict lock and key, however, due to how late it is tonight, it has managed to open the lock and stick its head out.  But don't worry; I have managed to purchase another lock (this time, it will work!), and my ghetto voice should not rear its ugly head again.


Anyway, I guess I could consider this as two posts acting as one.  I have a novelty business idea which I came up with several years ago revolving around making clocks that ran as 18 hour clocks.  Then there is lately, where I have been running out of time before I could even make a post on this blog, so I would like to have more time in the day so I could accomplish all that I want done.

Since I'm not really in the mood to write about the business (but I will do that soon, because it's a fun business idea, and I think I may just do it for fun), you'll get my thoughts about not having enough time in the day.

I know that most of us (if not all of us) have been annoyed that there aren't enough hours in the day to accomplish everything that needs to be done.  Even if you are a master at time efficiency, I highly doubt that there is enough time to accomplish everything.

That then begs the question: Why do we have too many things to do?

Do we really have too many things to accomplish?  What all do we need to accomplish?  Do we actually have more to accomplish now-a-day than we did 100 years ago?  If not, why do we feel that we need to accomplish more?

(Many of these questions and thoughts are coming to me as I type this, so please forgive the sudden changing of topic or sudden rambling, because they're pretty much my thoughts as they occur)

I don't know if we have to many things to accomplish.  I mean, as soon as I typed that question, I tried to think of what things I need to accomplish, and I couldn't think of a single thing.  Now, that may be because it's really late, but I wonder if it really is because of that.  Part of me wonders if it is because it's not that I have a lot of things I need to accomplish, but rather it is because there are too many things I want to do--there are too many fun things around that I want to experience, and I think I would feel deprived if I missed them.

Actually, the more I think about that, the more correct I think it is.  Think about it: what are the things we need to do in life:

  • Eat
  • Sleep
  • Work (it was agriculture back in the good-old days, and it may be something else, but we need something to be able to feed, clothe, and shelter yourself and your family)
  • Socialize (even though there are people, like my wife, who would say that they don't need to socialize with others, they do.  Socializing allows us to strengthen interpersonal communication skills, practice our vocabulary, understand the thoughts and mores [pronounced morays] of others, and see that we're not alone/the only person who matters on the planet)
Those are the main things which we did 100 years ago, and I would contend that those are the main things which we need to do today.  The rest of what we spend our time on is just stuff.

I would not think that spending 13 hours a day working to save up to go to DisneyWorld/Sea World/6 Flags/whatever else would classify as what would be most important in life.  That is not to say that it would not be worth it.  It would DEFINITELY be worth it, however, if we decide that it is at the same stage as our other needs, I think we're misrepresenting something.

I guess this is going to require a more thorough discussion about needs and wants, and what the differences are between them.  So, I'm not going to go any further into that, because it'll take away from that post.  Anyway, suffice it to say that we have enough time to do what we need to do, but not enough time to do everything we want to do.

So, with that being said, I think we need to make sure that we have our priorities set forth correctly so we can make the best use of whatever time we have allotted here.

No comments:

Post a Comment