Monday, January 9, 2012

Giving More Time to You

Welcome to the business idea for the last post!

If you haven't read the last post, well, you may have absolutely no idea to what I'm referring.  That's alright.  Just go back and read the other post.  I won't mind.  Actually, I'll stop writing while you read the last article.

Thinking about it, you wouldn't actually know if I stopped writing, or not, because I could have taken a 20 minute break during that time, but it wouldn't show up because it will publish the entire thing at the same time.  Well, I guess I could publish part now and add to it later, but it will still show as one entire post being published at the last time I published it.  So, forget that I even said that I would stop writing (unless you want to assume that I stopped writing at that point, which if you did assume that, you may continue doing so).

Anyway, back to topic.


I'm sure that you are familiar with others who have complained about the amount of time being so short in the day.  They say that if they only had a few more hours every day that they would be able to accomplish so much more.

Welcome to the few more hours in the day.

It's not that I have created a machine which will alter the flow of time so that you have more hours in the day, but rather I have an idea which will create the perception of altering the flow of time (there's a HUGE difference between the two--one alters the ACTUAL flow of time, whereas the other alters the PERCEPTION of time.  BIG difference).

I would want to create both a digital and analog clock which would show 36 hour days (the digital would show all 36 hours, while the analog would only show 18 hours).

This would be completely a novelty item, and would be something which wouldn't sell a ton of, but it would be functional and fun (it would put the fun in functional!).  There are two ways to do each.

The first way would actually count one second as one second.  What that means is that it would take one and a half days for the clock to go from 00:00 to 00:00 (you know how it takes 24 hours to get from 12:00am to 12:00am?  00:00 to 00:00 is the same concept, but in military time).  In regards to the analog clock, it would take 18 hours for the clock to reach its starting point again (remember that analog clocks are the ones with the hands, and only go from 1 to 12.  I know that we don't use them anymore, so if you are unsure as to what they are, just Google them or look in history books - I'm sure they'll be there).

Although this would be a fun thing, it would not be very useful, because it would mess up with your sense of time, and you could get into trouble with time commitments.  This function would be more of a novelty because of its inability to truly be functional in today's society.

The other way is for 18 hours to equal 12 hours (or 36 hours to equal 24 hours).  This would be much more functional because one day would equal one day (analog clock: 18 hours on the clock would be the same time as 12 hours in real time; digital clock: 36 hours on the clock would be the same as 24 hours in real time).  The time aspect would be correct, so people would think that they are getting more time during the day.

This would be much more useful, but people would get more depressed because time would move much more quickly than before, thus getting them to think that they're accomplishing even less now than they were before.  Other than that, this would be the best way to make the clocks.

Since I'm not a clock maker, I have no clue as to how to make a clock work faster than one second, and how to make the hands move different from how they do now (since all analog clocks have the same basic structure, the mechanisms are all standardized and work the same.  This would change the mechanisms for how far the hands would move, so you would need to create a new mechanism for it).  Maybe I'll do this once I have more time to work on the mechanics of it.

As for the digital version, that will be very easy, and I'm trying to work on a version for smartphones, which I think will be fun for them.  They'll have more time to enjoy what they want to do (or at least they'll have the perception of having more time).

No comments:

Post a Comment