Tuesday, March 27, 2012

2nd Annual Speech Contest

Salt Lake Community College is having their 2nd Annual Speech Contest.  I entered last year through a public speaking class I was taking, but I didn't get out of the first round.  I realized that my speech was not top-quality material, but I was passionate about it.

At least I had the opportunity to share my opinion with others - although they most likely forgot about it 5 minutes later.

Anyway, I was thinking about entering again this year.  I don't know what I should speak about, though.  From what I heard about the finalists last year, they were very articulate, entertaining, and had lots of visual effects.  Most of them had PowerPoint presentations with lots of colors.  My professor indicated that we shouldn't have many visual effects, because they take away from what the true focus of the presentation should be - the speaker.

This year though, I think I will include some visual effects to enhance my speech.  Now comes the hard part: choosing the topic on which to speak.  I will need to find out what topics are allowed to be spoken about before making a list of potential topics.  I think that would be the most efficient use of my time for it.

Anyway, if you have any suggestions for the topic, let me know.  I am willing to accept any and all suggestions. I really am.  I have given speeches about all sorts of topics, including the art of picking your nose.  No matter what you suggest, I will give it some serious thought.

Post them below in the comments section, and I'll give my thoughts about them as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment